Friday, July 17, 2015

Humble Pie

A day late and an amendment short. When I posted my previous entry calling everyone to take action, the congress website had not been updated to show that the S. 1177, Every Child Achieves Act, had already gone to vote. I feel like I really have some egg on my face. No, I couldn't control the fact that Congress.gov had not been updated at 2:00 a.m. when I posted it it. The bill still showed as being introduced, but without any decision. Still, I feel pretty embarrassed to have asked people to work under a deadline.

The good news is that the Every Child Achieves Act has passed with an overwhelming majority vote. 81-17 (2 non-votes). This act will the No Child Left Behind program if it passes the House and President Obama signs it into law. Given the overwhelming senate success, I have hope that it will. There are a lot of really great things about this bill.

Still, this does not mean that we cannot work to create legislation that will offer those protections. It just means that we have the time to give it the time and energy it deserves. Time to ask our representatives to do their jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment